The technology got developed from larger elements to nano particles. Ex. In older generation computers were of 1 room sizes, big but afterwards world of mobiles came into picture, things getting smaller. But now days for web designing we should start from mobile first web design. It means don’t start with a desktop site; you should start with the mobile site and then progressively enhance to devices with larger screens like tablets, large resolution big screens.
You can use CSS media queries in progressive manner to adjust your design for larger screens. Responsive web design (RWD) is an approach to identify the Client device and changing the layout to fits the screen with Media Queries. In RWD, we adjust layouts according to smaller screen sizes.
RWD: Desktop -> Tablet -> Mobile.
Mobile First Design is: Mobile -> Tablet -> Desktop.
- If you use mobile first designing approach, your website will reach to more peoples. Starting with mobile first:
- Allows websites to reach more people (77% of the world’s population has a mobile device)
- It forces designers to focus on core content and functionality, advanced designing challenges.
- There are over 1.2 billion mobile web users worldwide
- In the U.S., 25% of mobile Web users are mobile-only (they rarely use a desktop to access the web)
- Mobile apps have been downloaded 10.9 billion times
- Mobile device sales are increasing across the world with more than 85 percent of new handsets able to access the mobile Web.
The digital world of mobile devices (feature phones, smart phones, tablets), highly-specialized devices (eReaders, TVs, Internet of things) is increasing vastly. One of the major catalysts for the rise of mobile first web design was the announcement from Eric Schmidt in 2010 that Google was going to be taking this approach from now on, going so far as to say “I think it’s now the joint project of all of us to make mobile the answer to pretty much everything” (source).
Mobile-First Focuses on Core Content and Functionality. It is always good to start from ‘0’, you will have nothing but you will definitely create something from that nothing. If you will start with this approach, i.e. if you do mobile first designing then you will require fewer resources, less time to build your website. Once, completed for mobile you can move towards tablets, then towards desktop pc. This will be the good programmers approach, do smaller things perfectly to easily do larger things.
While creating mobile first designing keep in mind that Structuring content first creates content focus and hierarchy. The main reason we have a website is to give valuable content to our users. Progressive enhancement focuses on the content first, then the presentation and styling, and finally the scripting and animation. As the web landscape becomes increasingly complex, it’s becoming extremely important to deliver solid web experiences to a growing number of contexts. If you use progressive enhancement approach your sites will be running always on any platform, your user experience will increase, your business will become world-wide.